Attending #NextPH: Social Media Day 2017

One of the things I miss about blogging is being able to attend blogging events.  I may not be actively blogging as much as I used to or as much as I wanted to (I upload some vlogs about makeup, art, and gameplays, though), but I do try to get back into attending blogging-related events.  #NextPH is not specifically a blogging event, but a celebration of the ever-increasing users of social media.  Filipinos may have the right to claim that the Philippines is the Social Media Capital of the World, with internet trend reports done released by Hootsuite and We Are Social LTD stating that:

The report, called Digital in 2017, showed that Filipinos spent an average of 4 hours and 17 minutes per day on social media sites such as Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter. The data were based on active monthly user data from social media companies as recent as Jan. 2017.The Philippines is followed by Brazil (3 hours and 43 minutes) and Argentina (3 hours and 32 minutes).The United States, where many of these social media players were founded, is among the bottom half at an average 2 hours and 6 seconds per day. The least active—the Japanese—logged on to social media an average of 40 minutes per day.

Excited as I were to attend #NextPH, unfortunately, I came in a bit late, barely catching the last few statements of DSWD Secretary Taguiwalo's keynote speech.

Next keynote speaker was Dr. Gia Sison who talked about social media, stigma relating to mental health and the Mental Health Act. I was able to record some parts of her keynote speech.



I was even asked by the host to give some insights regarding the keynote speech (it's somewhere in the middle of this video and I apologize for not being able to rotate the camera prior to taking the video):



There were also some raffle prizes given prior to the beginning of the breakout sessions.


Speaker for the first breakout session I attended was Commissioner Maisara Dandamun-Latiph of Bangsamoro Transition Commission who discussed the role of social media in the current Marawi crisis and how it can be used for peacekeeping and spreading awareness. Immediately following is the breakout session headed by Toto Madayag, creator of Libreng Komiks, who talked about publishing comics online and the best practices in marketing your creative work.





The other breakout sessions that I were not able to attend (because they're concurrently held with the ones I attended and I had to leave early) were Introduction to coding, UI/UIX, Travel Goals, Feed Goals, Road Career, and Film Panel.  I am hoping that some people were able to record videos and post it online.

Since I was in a hurry, I wasn't able to make rounds of the booths outside the Samsung Hall.  But I made sure to pass by Toto Madayag's booth so I can buy his comics (I even got some freebie stickers too!).


I love how simple and witty his comics are.  His comics, mostly, are about everyday issues that ordinary Filipinos face, including controversial ones.  I love his honesty and his passion about his art.
I encourage everyone to support their favorite local artists so that they may continue to be inspired to produce more creative work.

And that was it for my brief Social Media Day 2017 encounter.  Even if I were there for only a short time, I learned a lot and made me realize that in the chaos of social media nowadays, with all the political mudslinging, bigotry, and stupidity, there are also treasures.  Like what I have always said, social media is both a boon and a bane.  We only need to realize how to use it better and for greater purposes, like advocacy, spreading awareness, education, and for productivity.  And I think that is what we keep celebrating every year: the triumph of humans in utilizing technology for a better world.









Comments

  1. Thanks for no sharing! I miss attending social media day. It's also like a reunion of friends you see on social media but rarely in person. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts